Saturday, March 27, 2010

Get fawnky, fawnky, fawnky!!


As I sit here listening to Ivan Neville and his props to The Meters, I can only think of one thing: MAN, I love great music!!! Talk about your soul! All day today I have been Pandora-ing (yes that's a word.... look it up in Websters... ok seriously, don't!) my favorite New Orleans artists and some I've never heard of. It is truly amazing how music affects us.

I also just read an article in Relevant, more of a blurb really, about the importance of the historical "record store" and the magic it evoked. All these wonderful artists all gathered in one spot, rubbing elbows, sharing stories, until one gets taken in order to share these tells with a new owner. Taking the music somewhere new. Ever see that movie Crossroads?
Not the Brittani one, so don't get your ho
pes up. The one with Ralph Macchio where he plays guitar?! My favorite movie probably! Anyway, there is a scene towards the end where Joe Seneca, the karate kid's mentor in the film, says to him," You got to take the music somewhere new." It is that magic of music that is so intriguing. If it ever was good music, it always will be, and will continue to go new places.

It's not real secret that I am a fan of New Orleans style funk. Not Boogie Shoes, not Play That Funky Music, or Brick House. I'm talking about FAWNK!!! As I sit now and listen to The Bamboos (God Bless Pandora) and hear the rhythms and grooves that are coming from my new iMac speakers (:) ) it inspires me to write this. To tell you to listen to more music. To take it somewhere new. To let it inspire you. We're not all funk fans. But maybe jazz, rock, pop, celtic, polka, country, western swing, or whatever that it is that drives you, find it. Let it inspire you to write, to think, to talk, to "take the music somewhere new."

Hope this wasn't too random, but I was feeling the need to share. :) Have a good one!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Jarrett. I really dig the laid back type of style of the guitarist that was in Tower of Power. I wish I could do that sort of thing someday. Sure seems like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Those guys are all awesome! Got to see em at The House of Blues in NO. :)

    ReplyDelete